Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quotes From Al Harrington Press Conference


Left: Al Harrington with Hawks VP of Basketball Dominique Wilkins. Right: Harrington with Atlanta Spirit LLC co-owners Rutherford Seydel and Michael Gearon Jr.


  • Hawks Acquire Al Harrington In Trade For Stephen Jackson

  • Al Harrington Sound Bites:

  • On Coming To Atlanta

  • On Shaq Coming To The East

  • On Almost Playing At Georgia Tech

  • Billy Knight On Al Harrington

  • Video Recap: 300k
    HAWKS GM BILLY KNIGHT
    Opening remarks:
    “We feel that this is a trade that is good for us. It’s deal that we thought would have long-term implications for us. Obviously, I know Al Harrington intimately, because I drafted him and from the years I was with the Pacers. We have a good comfort level and that’s a part of this – you have to be comfortable and feel good about what’s happening. I know Al, I know his work ethic, I know what he will bring and I feel comfortable bringing him to this team and adding him to what we are trying to do.”
    On how Harrington is different since Knight drafted him:
    “He has matured on the court, he’s stepped out away from the basket some. He handles the ball and makes plays off the dribble and for other people. He will take on a defensive challenge – if there’s someone who is hurting us offensively, Al will take that challenge on and guard that guy. I know that about him – because he wants that, he loves doing those kinds of things. He wants to take the ball in pressure situations and create something.”

    AL HARRINGTON
    Opening remarks:
    “I want to start by saying thanks to Billy (Knight), Dominique (Wilkins) and Coach Woodson for giving me this opportunity. This is something that I’ve been looking for for a long time. I feel like this is a great situation for me, for this city, for this organization and we are going to turn it around quickly.”
    “I think that the Hawks have all of the right things set in place – they have Billy at the head, Mike Woodson coming from a championship team – it’s just going to get everything in order. You also have me coming from a team that won 61 games, a very defensive-oriented team. I think that with me being here, we are going to be able to impress that on the young guys.”
    “I am finally in a position where I can really be a role model for my teammates – it’s bigger than just starting. Now I have a lot of responsibilities and these are responsibilities that I have been looking for the last two years of my career. I’m very excited be here and we are going to get it ‘poppin’ out here again.”
    On being an offensive player and replacing the Hawks’ leading scorer Stephen Jackson:
    “That’s what this team needs, and that’s one of the challenges that I am ready to accept. I know I am going to be ready, because I know I’ll work hard this summer. I don’t think anyone works harder as me and with that brings confidence in the offensive end and my total game.”
    On why he wanted to come to Atlanta:
    “I wanted to come here because I feel like I have a lot more to offer. Indiana was a great situation, I am going to miss everybody there, but it just came to a point with that team that we just had too many guys. Something had to give and I guess I was the one that was willing to step back and try a new thing. It was a blessing in disguise – it just happened out of nowhere. I am just so happy to be here – I have family here and this is a place that I definitely can make my home.”
    On the biggest adjustment from high school basketball to the NBA:
    “It was mental – believe it or not, the game is really 90% mental. You get to this level because you have the talent, but it’s your mindset that takes you over the top. The reason why I have no regrets about not going to college was because I came to a Pacers team with all those veterans (Chris Mullin, Derrick McKey, Rick Smits) – the things those guys taught me were invaluable. There’s no way I could have learned that in college and there’s no way I could have learned being the third pick in the draft, playing for the Clippers.”
    On how his experience can help the Hawks:
    Just being around those guys (Pacers veterans) really helped me mature my game and showed me how to be a professional. The things I’ve learned from them I can pass on to the young guys that we just drafted. I’ve been there before and I know they are going to be looking for direction. The biggest thing I am going to preach is that defense can keep you in every game. I think that if we come in and we get that defensive mindset first, that it will be a pretty good season; hopefully we will win more games that way.
    On making the adjustment from reserve player with Indiana to higher expectations in Atlanta:
    “It’s going to be tough, but this is something that I want. I’m going to have to be mentally stronger. A lot of times, being on a good team and being a sixth man, I could rely on Ron (Artest) and Jermaine (O’Neal) to carry us out of games. Now guys are going to be looking at me to do that – it’s going to be an adjustment, but it’s something I look forward to.
    On Atlanta fans:
    “I have an announcement to make – Atlanta come out and support us. We are going to turn this thing around and we are going to play hard, give 110%. Just come out, bear with us and I promise that we are going to give maximum effort every night and we are going to make it entertaining.
    On the arrival of Shaquille O’Neal in the Eastern Conference:
    “The East is back. No longer the West – the East is back with ‘Daddy’ over here. We are going to play him four times – I’m willing to guard anybody, but I’m not guarding him. He brings credibility back to the East – it’s going to be a good season this year, it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment