Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pre-Draft Workout, June 2

Hawks GM Billy Knight:
On the workout:
“I think everything went fine. We were able to get a closer look at the players.”
On the international players:
“Obviously with the foreign players here, we are able to get our hands on them more and ask them to do some things that maybe their teams aren’t asking them to do. If they’re a big guy, a lot of times their teams just have them playing around the basket, and we may want them to face the basket a little bit. We might want to see if he can make some plays, see if he’s a “pick-and-pop” player, or if he can create some offense for himself. It gives us a different angle, a different viewpoint on them. Obviously we’ve seen these guys play on their respective teams at whatever level but this gives us a closer look at them.”
On possibility of drafting a high school player:
“We’re looking for basketball players. We’re not going to limit ourselves by saying we want all college seniors or all high school kids … we will look at everyone. I don’t think we have a pre-set thought that we want someone who is a certain age or from a certain area, I don’t believe we are going to approach it that way at all.”

Jefferson Jefferson
Al Jefferson
On the workout:
“I feel like everything went o.k., it could have been better. Today was good though, I got a chance to play against some better players. I had a hard workout yesterday and I’m still a little sore from it.”
On his other workouts:
“This is my fourth one. I’ve been to Boston, New Orleans and I was just at Washington yesterday. There hasn’t been much of difference between them. Other than Boston, where they make you run for three minutes to see how many sprints you can do. Everything is basically the same though.”
On his outlook heading into the draft:
“I really don’t know. I’m a first-rounder, I guess.”
On the level of competition in high school and the NBA:
“It’s going to be totally different. The guys at this level have more experience and they’re bigger. It’s a good challenge for me. I feel like I can deal with it, like I can play with these guys.”
On his decision to jump from high school to the NBA:
“A lot of people have been saying I am going to go in the first round. So I didn’t think it would hurt for me to test the waters to see what I could achieve in the NBA. This might be my only chance, so I felt I should take it now.”

Samardziski Samardziski
Peja Samardziski
On the workout:
“It was a great workout with great players.” On his previous workouts:
“I’ve visited Boston, Cleveland and Washington. So far it’s been good. I’m trying to do the best I can, so I think things are going o.k.”
On his style of play:
“I think I have the talent to play here. I must work hard I know that. I can’t compare myself to anybody but I would like to play like (Pistons rookie) Darko (Milicic). He’s my favorite player, so I try to play my games like him. The best part of my game right now is one-on-one, posting-up and going down low.”

Varejao Varejao
Anderson Varejao
Anderson Varejao (through his translator)
On the workout:
“We played hard, it was intense. I enjoyed the workout. I’m looking forward to more visits. I hope to be a good pick in the draft.” On what he know about the Hawks organization:
“The Hawks have a long history in the NBA and have had tremendous players. They are building a new team and picking up new guys. They are trying to make a good product for next season.”
On why he has withdrawn from the previous two NBA Drafts:
“I wanted to get more experience and strength, as well as to improve my game.”

Bass Bass
Brandon Bass
On the workout:
“This workout was more intense than the others I’ve had. There was a lot more shooting involved. I think everything went o.k. There were a couple bigger guys but I feel pretty good.”
On his performance:
“We did a lot of shooting, so my legs weren’t with me all the way during the one-on-one’s and two-on-two’s. It went alright though.”
On his draft status:
“I think I’m in the top 20. If I think I’m starting to fall, I’ll go back to school.”
On his workout schedule:
“I’m heading to Washington tomorrow. I’ve already been to Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Denver and Sacramento.”



  • Workout Recaps:
    May 18: Michael Haynes, Herve Lamizana, James Moore, Damir Omerhodzic
    May 20: Terrence Hill, Royal Ivey, Lamont McIntosh, Rashad Wright
    May 22: Rafael Araujo, Kyle Davis, Chris Garnett, David Harrison
    May 25: Luke Jackson, RIcky Minard, J.R. Smith, Kirk Snyder
    May 28: Marcus Douthit, Scott Emerson, Marco Killingsworth, Nate Williams
    June 1: Josh Childress, Brandon Mouton, Bryant Matthews, Josh Smith

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment