Friday, December 31, 2010

Hawks Draft Picks Meet the Media, 6/28/04

Hawks General Manager Billy Knight:
"We feel very excited to have these young guys added to our roster. We think these guys will bring a lot to our team and to our organization. They'll bring a lot of youth, a lot of energy, a lot of excitement, a lot of athleticism. We're really happy that they're all here. I'm looking forward to working with them."
"We all have to understand what we're doing here. We're going through a process. These players are part of our foundation that we'll have to go forward with. They each bring something that we find attractive. And we also find attractive the fact that these are fine young men. These are good guys. We do extensive background and research on all of our players and we think those things are important. We think being involved off the court in the community, in the city, those are things these players will bring also. And they'll have an influence on young people. We all know that's part of our charge."
"Collectively, they all bring something that we like, from energy to athleticism, passion, youth and adding to the future development of our team."


Childress Childress
Josh Childress:
"I'm very excited. I think this is a great situation for all of us here. We're in a situation where we're going to be part of the rebuilding process. With the management, everything is geared towards winning. I'm looking forward to it as well as these three guys here. The city of Atlanta is ready for success from the Hawks. That's the goal -- to come out here and bring that back to the organization. It's just a good situation."


Smith Smith
Josh Smith:
"Just like Josh, I'm excited to be here. We're going to win more games than last year. There will be great effort. I'm just glad to be back home and playing for the Hawks. We'll put in effort and hard work and win some games."




Smith Smith
Donta Smith:
"I'll repeat what they said. I'm just happy to be here. With these three guys, hopefully we can get the franchise back where it needs to be."




Ivey Ivey
Royal Ivey:
"I'm ready to work, and make a contribution, along with these other guys, and do good things for this franchise."




Royal, do you think you have a better chance than some second-round picks, given the team's roster situation?
"Yes, I feel this is a good situation for me. They brought us in here because they believed in us. I'm ready to work and play hard and do the little things to help this team win."
Does not having a coach in place bother you?
Childress: "I don't think so. I have a lot of trust in Mr. Knight. I think they'll do a great job of picking a coach. I'm pretty sure the coach will have the same kind of ideals and expectations they have for us."
Are you worried about losing here a lot more than you did in college?
Childress: "I think the most important thing is changing the mindset, changing it into a more winning-type atmosphere. Regardless what happens, if you learn from your mistakes. Then for every loss, you'll win and extra three. That's the approach we'll have to take. To learn why you're losing. I'm hoping that we don't lose too much. As long as we're playing hard, playing good defense, and executing on offense, we'll be fine. But we're young. So I'm not too worried about that. I've lost before, but it's what you learn from it that's important."
Royal, is your comparison to Eric Snow a good one?
"I think it's a fair comparison. Eric is a great player. I take pride in my defense. I get after people and play hard. He's a team player, who sets his team up and gets them in the offense. And he can hit the open shot. That's what I'd like to be as a player."

No comments:

Post a Comment